Friday, March 18, 2011

{amber van, betty lou, and casey egg}

the 3 people in the title are who i have to thank for inspiring this post.
i'll explain each.

amber inspired me with a blog she wrote the other day called "i heart dresses".
you can read her post here.

one thing she mentions, is that she had a goal to wear a dress a day all summer.  i think this is so fun!
i like amber.  she is the one who encouraged me to wear lipgloss....even if i didn't need to be dressed up.
so thanks for that am!

inspiration number 2 is my grandma betty lou o'neill.

i was thinking about her a lot this week (as it was st. patrick's day yesterday, and likely her favorite holiday).
my sweet grandma passed away this last year, but i was blessed to be able to spend some quality time with her in her last months.
one time we were sitting at her kitchen table and she was telling me how every day before my grandpa would come home from work, she would mow the lawn  (if it needed it), tidy up the house and put 
on a little makeup.
i love that she would both mow the grass and put on makeup.
she was one of the funnest and quirkiest women i've ever know, and i admire her greatly.
i love that she would do her best to make both her home and herself attractive and welcoming to her hubby.

inspiration number 3 (and my biggest inspiration) Mr. Casey Egger.
my handsome man.

he is all about the girlie girl.
he loves all things lipstick, long hair, dresses, peep toe heels, dangly earrings...
on a woman...on this woman to be exact.
if i wore peep toe high heels and lipstick every day, he'd be the happiest man alive.
however, so often i can get in the mindset that i don't really need to put effort into how i look because, who's gonna see me anyway?
then, when i go out into public, where there are total strangers, i put in an effort at my appearance.
what matters more?  
that strangers find me attractive, or that my husband finds me attractive?
there is such a temptation for men to be looking elsewhere rather then at their wives.
though i love summer and i love warm weather, i dread the clothing that appears (or disappears) along with it.
so if i can do a few {simple} things to help keep my husbands eyes on me, and not give him an excuse to look elsewhere, then why the heck wouldn't i?
plus, dresses are a great way to look cute and stylish, while being modest and helping out a brother.

so what i've decided is:
thanks to amber, i'm going to attempt to wear a dress a minimum of 5 days a week this summer.
and thanks to my grandma, i'm going to make a conscience effort to put on a little lipgloss and tidy up the house before casey comes home.
and thanks to casey, i'm going enjoy putting effort into my appearance, feeling like a girlie girl, and helping to keep my husbands eyes on me.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome :) I think you will now have to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. liz, that's part of the plan! conveniently i was generously given some bday money and i think this is the perfect way to spend it, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud your goal! Mike is like Casey, he's a trout and likes anything shiny. (I think Casey is the one who gave him that name.) Mike would have me wear sequined catsuits and heels every day if he could.

    Now that I'm working at home, I have to try harder at this too. I don't want Mike to come home to a wife in sweats every day!

    ReplyDelete